Production Diaries, 4th-7th March

Monday,

After quite a lot of experimentation with the opening scene of shout, we are finally ready to put it together and see how it fits into the show, we decided to go for something the national theatre would like working together as one massive group, everything happening for a reason and a lot of Brecht style theatre like group silence. The scene fits really well as the opening scene, it shows the audience the Dana's struggle and situation in this world, how we should view her and how everyone else views her. As well as this, today is the auditions for "hunt" a show being directed by another student Callum Gordan. I am auditioning for the role of Steve with a fellow classmate Lola Smith who wants to play my on stage "duo" Carly. I love doing this audition in a northern Irish accent and I love the character Steve, he's a bit of gannet but he's funny, he's a character I haven't played before, he acts tough and has a lot of quick wit about him and I would be delighted to play the role.

  

Tuesday,

Another interesting Tuesday, having a look into auditions and workshops. Today he did an "audition workshop" where the workshop is an actual audition. So the lesson started out as a normal workshop however we where given the context that the actual workshop is an audition. We all worked together seamlessly as we evaluated if we think we would make it to the next round. A time really where we could focus on ourselves and really see what we are doing, our effort, commitment and concentration. We also had a look at a small audition piece were the stage was ours and we were aloud to go as creative as possible in a small group. It was a piece made by Roal Dahls, a funny twist on little red riding hood, looking back on it I think our group could of done better, I think we could of been more creative but I feel out performance more than made up for it, we probably could of took it more seriously however. Over all it was a big eye opener to how to conduct our self's and how to get into the acting world.

  

Wednesday,

Continuing on with Stuff today, It all seems to be coming together, the characters, the set, the chemistry and the general vibe. All thanks to our director Sophia and co-director Elliott, We do warm ups in character which gives us an extra challenge, its surprisingly really fun to do and I defiantly think I will be trying it out in more warm ups to come. As I am in charge of the set now, I felt today was a good chance to get ideas and come up with the general vibe, what is already available? what would I have to source? Very interesting challenge. Good news today as well! I managed to get the role as Steve in "hunt" a student run show. I play Steve in cast one where I have to to a northern Irish Accent, its going t be great fun and I cant wait to play Steve!

 

Thursday,

Today I would like to take about a show we went to see as a group in collage. It was the show "into the jungle" that we had been invited to see by Umar Butt the writer/director that did a workshop for us. I enjoyed it a lot, it was about two different cultures and journeys colliding into on. One story about a dangerous journey to the UK filled with worry and terror, to the other story of a someone struggling to cope and survive in there own country, the UK. The play had a big element of Mike Alfreds style of theatre, the practitioner that me and Keiran are studying at the moment. A big focus on the actor, no fancy set as the world builds around the performance, a lot of techniques of Brecht as well, using people as set and breaking the fourth wall. Afterwards there was a QnA with the cast which was so interesting, we made a lot of connections!



Comments

Popular Posts