The start of an Acting journey

 


 I was very sceptical going into the course, entirely new people from many walks of life, in an entirely new environment all while being constantly pushed out your comfort zone the moment each lesson starts. The course seemed incredibly daunting to me at first but i knew it was what i needed to do to reach my goals. I had a lot of faith in the course as it seemed to me like a real shot at turning a true passion of mine into a career. But i found myself getting caught up in the now, listing to my head and not what i really wanted, i almost chose to do a catering course (i believe if i did take that catering course, it would of been the biggest mistake of my life) . It turned out now that i feel along with everyone else, that the only way to be comfortable is to be outside of your comfort zone and that choosing the course was what i wanted to do. I think i am most looking forward to the screen element of the course, although the buzz and the instant feedback of the stage is very pleasing and something to look forward to, i believe acting for screen is more appealing to me. Working with film and TV on feature films and music videos sound incredibly exiting to me. I think the hardest part of the course would be to apply new skills to my acting as i have never actually studied drama before however i am prepared for the challenge.

Who am i as an actor at this moment of time?

I always seemed to find myself as the main parts in all my performances, even in the primary school plays. Although they aren't my greatest performances, i feel like for myself they where defining moments for a growing passion. My earliest performance i can remember would be a narrator for a play about ancient Rome where i took on the role as an archaeologist. An amusing role where i was allowed to interact to the audience (because of my request to) and also improvise (i also didn't know what that meant at the time but managed to do it anyway). This was one of my first big roles which i believe was in year 4. I then moved on as the star of the end of school play in year 6 where i played the hero who saved his village from a dragon, pretty standard stuff for primary school. It only then took a step up when in year 7 i was casted as the artful dodger at my secondary school . This was a pretty big school where we sold out both nights where over 500 people attended and we even had a live band. This remains one of my proudest performances to this day, i was small and cocky and had an amazing cockney accent. I heard the gasps from the audiences when i said my first line on stage and it felt amazing for me. After this i then attended summer school for acing at my secondary school and also managed to get into the Sunderland emporium theater group where i attended for over half a year. I then landed the role of doody from Greece, Bert from marry Poppins and then Bugsy Malone... from Bugsy Malone. However Before Bugsy Malone i auditioned for a role in the new ken loach film The Old Oak where i was interviewed by ken loach himself and then was chosen to improvise a scene in front of him where i felt i did a very good job. The scene i had to improvise was one where i had to be angry at two kids that upset my hypothetical little brother. Unfortunately i did not get the role but that experience of rejection i feel further improved my professionalism. I was called back to be casted as an extra and i have yet to see the film where i might very well be in a few scenes. The over all experience was, experience, as an actor in what could be a very historic film and i felt honoured to be apart of it. So that is my experience so far as an actor so far


Comments